Trust in TRESemmé
- Trust in Our Process
- Preservatives & DMDM
- Our Animal Testing Policy
- Our Promise
TRESemmé products use only the highest quality ingredients to create safe, science-backed, professional-quality formulas to give you salon quality hair at home.
At TRESemmé, we are proud of our professional heritage and to this day, we formulate our products with a salon-quality approach, so you can look and feel your best every day.
All of our formulas are rooted in proven science. They use innovative ingredients and breakthrough technologies so you can achieve salon-quality results at home.
Whatever your hair needs, you can have complete confidence that TRESemmé products will help you achieve your desired look and style while adhering to the highest global safety and quality standards.
You can visit this FAQ to read more about our ingredients and science.
Trust in Our Process
For every TRESemmé product we develop, we start with key insights about the most sought-after salon trends and develop unique formulations that deliver on performance and quality. Before making our products available to consumers, we make health and safety our top priority. That’s why all TRESemmé formulas are rigorously assessed by leading experts using industry-proven methods before being made available in market. We ensure that our products meet the highest standards in quality and safety, respecting all applicable laws and regulations in the United States, Europe, and all other markets where TRESemmé is sold.
Standard evaluations we conduct on our products prior to going to market include
- Stability testing: testing done to ensure that consumers will get a quality product that is safe and stable for use under different temperature and humidity conditions.
- Safety assessments: a review of what ingredients are used in every formulation and in what quantity. This helps make sure that we only use what is needed to provide safe and effective products.
- EcoDesign review: review of environmental impact and compliance with sustainability targets.
- Microbiological testing: tests that the product is preserved for the duration of its shelf life. This ensures that no microorganisms, bacteria, and mold are growing in our products.
- Regulatory assessment: ensures that our products, their ingredients, how it is manufactured and labeled comply with all federal and state laws.
- Fragrance testing: consumer or expert panel testing on any new fragrances used within our products
All of these assessments and evaluations prove that TRESemmé products are safe to use.
In addition, we commonly test our products for efficacy to ensure they deliver the top-tier results our consumers expect. Examples of these testing methodologies include:
- Double-blind testing against competitors assessed by professional stylists and consume
- Technical instrumental testing to ensure performance
- At-home user testing with 100+ participating consumers
Result: TRESemmé products perform as well or better than salon brands
Preservatives & DMDM
Similar to other cosmetic brands in the industry, we use certain ingredients when necessary to help preserve the quality of our products. Otherwise, our products could grow moldy, change color, or start to smell.
Select TRESemmé products use DMDM hydantoin (dimethyl-dimethylhydantoin) as a stabilizing preservative. Industry regulators have approved this ingredient for use in personal care products to prevent harmful growth of bacteria and mold. Experts like the independent US Cosmetics Ingredient Review Panel and Europe’s Scientific Community on Consumer Safety have repeatedly found DMDM hydantoin to be a safe and effective cosmetics preservative.
For more information on DMDM hydantoin safety, please reference the following third-party resources:
Nonetheless, by July 2021, all TRESemmé products will be DMDM hydantoin free. To see if your Tresemmé product contains DMDM hydantoin, please refer to our ingredient labels, which differ for each product.
Our Animal Testing Policy
Our TRESemmé policy prohibits animal tests for our products and the ingredients used in them, anywhere in the world. Over 40 years ago our parent company, Unilever, started developing and using non-animal methods to assess product safety. Unilever’s ongoing work on alternatives to animal testing, and its commitment to advocate for their acceptance globally, has also been recognised by PETA, which lists Unilever as a company working for regulatory change.
At TRESemmé, we stand by the quality of our products, and nothing is more important to us than your complete satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with the results of your TRESemmé shampoos or conditioners within the first 30 days after purchase, please reach out for your money back.