How to Take Care of Colored Hair Without Going to a Salon
A common mistake most of us make is that we stop caring for our colored hair the moment we step out of the salon. Because our hair is chemically treated when it gets colored, there is a stronger need to take steps to care for it and help your hair retain its vibrant color. The good news is that you do not always have to go to the salon for your hair pampering sessions because you can most certainly do it in the comfort of your home anytime!
Read on and find out how our favorite hairstylist Lourd Ramos takes care of his colored hair. Plus, learn straight from the expert the proper way of coloring your hair at home.
How to color your hair at home the right way
If you have always had your hair colored at the salon but want to know how to do it yourself, read on and learn from no less than Lourd Ramos.
1. Make sure your hair is in good condition
Achieving well-conditioned hair does not happen overnight. In fact, it is a long process that involves pampering not just your strands but your scalp too. But you can make it easier by using treatment for hair nourishment or a hair nourishing shampoo like TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shampoo. It is formulated with less sulfates to help restore keratin and nourish each strand, leaving hair straighter and shinier.
2. Avoid washing hair the day before coloring
Not everyone is aware of this, so let us explain the reason behind it. Though washing your hair before coloring seems like a good idea, most dyes are formulated to work better on hair that is not freshly washed. However, this does not mean you cannot wet your hair the night before coloring it. You just have to skip the shampoo and conditioner or opt to use a dry shampoo like TRESemmé Dry Shampoo.
3. Choose the color that suits your skin tone
Thankfully, this should not be a tough thing to do considering all the different shades of hair color available in the market today. From dark brown and ash brown to ash grey and blonde hair colors, the options are endless.
4. Start applying color from the mid-section
If you have watched professional hairstylists when they color your hair, they start in the mid-section and work their way to the ends. Then, they go to the roots to ensure all strands are covered.
How to care for your colored hair at home
Now that you have got colored hair, here are some tips from Lourd to help you take care of it at home.
1. Use a shampoo for colored hair. Without proper care and nourishment, your hair color can easily turn brassy and make your hair strands weak and brittle. Using a shampoo for colored hair, TRESemmé Blonde Brilliance Shampoo and TRESemmé Color Radiance Shampoo from the TRESemmé Pro-Color Series, can help make hair color last 2x longer and keep it from becoming brassy. These hair products are formulated with Jojoba Oil and Purple Shampoo Formula that neutralizes brassy hues to help preserve your blonde hair for longer.
2. Avoid chlorine or going out for a swim. Chlorine on hair, even when it is not colored or chemically treated, can strip hair of its shine and vibrancy, leaving it dull and lackluster. Spare your colored hair from the trouble and damage and just steer clear from chlorinated or saltwater.
3. Go for a trim to remove split ends. The longer your hair grows, the more prone it is to damage and split ends. Make it a habit to get a trim every 12 weeks. This can help prevent breakage and flyaways that can make hair look thin and dry.
4. Keep your hair’s shine and smoothness with the TRESemme Keratin Smooth Shine Serum. It gives you 5 benefits – boosts shine, detangles knots, adds softness, tames flyaways, and fights frizz. Just a pump, and you’ll get supreme smoothing that’s like no other.
Thankfully, we can now take care of our colored hair even at home. With the products for colored hair from TRESemmé, your hair stays vibrant and shiny for longer.